Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Social Media and Society Final Project: Personal Reflection

      There is so much evidence that I simply could not get to due to the reality of social media and the amount of content that is out there. For this I apologize. I apologize to every victim and perpetrator, to every ignorant and educated mind that my mediocre research and mediocre writing could not extend forever without ceasing, in hopes that someone, at least one person, could read it and have their opinions changed for the better, if even ever so slightly.

      The interest in this subject of rape culture, sexual assault, misogyny, sexism, victim blaming, and feminism stems from such a personal place, and I have therefore taken this entire project and process of research on this topic personally, in hopes that someone else would not have to inflict or receive the things that I have personally, in what I have seen with those that I love, and simply on the basis of seeing other human beings suffering and hurting in this way.

      I knew that this project would be nothing but drawbacks and shortcomings, for you simply cannot analyze and search the the same amount of social media that is being put out even by the second.

      This is me trying to be brave. Trying to step out of that box that rape culture and every
branch that extends off of that puts you in, tells you to be quiet, to let it go, to not speak up for yourself and others. This is me speaking, in the best way I know how, in the best medium I know
how, because I have a track record of people not listening to my verbal words, they no longer have
merit, not even to me; so I choose to write instead.

      I was put into that box, and have been in that box, and this is me reaching out of it, grabbing the hands of others and bringing them with me. Into the light. Into the truth. Into the reality. This gut-wrenching reality where our future leader has so proudly and confidently stood on a platform of rhetoric and actions that support everything I denounced in this analysis. Dylan Thomas has been so over-quoted due to recent events, but my goodness, if there were ever a more perfect poem.

      This is me raging against the dying light.
   
      Quietly, uncertainly, and hopefully raging.

No comments:

Post a Comment